Gen 3 owners please read! Camshaft Issue (Diesel)

Official news and updates direct from Mazda UK.

Gen 3 owners please read!

Postby damtom85 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi Newmazdaowner. Do you get this when engine is warmed up ? Obviously now we have cold weather and you will have some condensation in your exhaust and it is normal for car to get white smoke when you start engine first thing in morning so it will get rid of condensation. But if your engine is warmed properly and u still get white smoke under heavy acceleration it's mean is something wrong with engine.

Sent using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
damtom85
Experienced
Experienced

Model: Saloon (13-on)
Trim: Sport
Engine: 2.2d

Re: Gen 3 owners please read!

Postby newmazdaowner » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:47 pm

damtom85 wrote:Hi Newmazdaowner. Do you get this when engine is warmed up ? Obviously now we have cold weather and you will have some condensation in your exhaust and it is normal for car to get white smoke when you start engine first thing in morning so it will get rid of condensation. But if your engine is warmed properly and u still get white smoke under heavy acceleration it's mean is something wrong with engine.

Sent using Tapatalk

Hi Damtom,

It's only happened once, but to be fair, I'm not a boy racer and it could be that I have not previously put my foot down as hard before. The engine was fully warmed up and I had just come off a major "A" road where I had been doing a steady 60 mph for half an hour or so. Navigating around a roundabout and turning on to a duel carriageway road that I knew, I was behind a slow car and so pulled out to overtake. As the 70mph duel carriageway ended in approx 200 yards, I excellerated hard and the auto gearbox smoothly pulled me away and I easily passed the slower car within the distance before I had to reduce speed to 60mph on the single carriageway. Glancing in the RVM I saw huge plumes of white smoke billowing behind my car, which stopped when I maintained a steady 60mph.

White smoke to me, relates as you correctly say, to water being boiled away and that amount of white smoke would only happen with a blown water jacket gasket, something that used to happen a lot way back when - however, the white smoke would then be seen all the time thereafter. Or could it be that the engine was in the process of doing a regen and I blasted the DPF with fuel, causing the filter to burn clean? Obviously, the more fuel is burned, the hotter it gets, thus the exhaust can get super hot at such times ?? Is this the answer to cleaning the DPF? Bye the way, I only use BP Ultimate, which claims to burn more efficiently anyway. Any thoughts would be appreciated, please
Mazda 6 SportsNav Tourer Auto 175bhp - 2017 UPGRADE
xtras: Safety Pack, RCC
Space Saver
Soul Red
Purchased:18/01/2017
newmazdaowner
Experienced
Experienced

Model: Estate (12-on)

Postby damtom85 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:14 pm

newmazdaowner wrote:
damtom85 wrote:Hi Newmazdaowner. Do you get this when engine is warmed up ? Obviously now we have cold weather and you will have some condensation in your exhaust and it is normal for car to get white smoke when you start engine first thing in morning so it will get rid of condensation. But if your engine is warmed properly and u still get white smoke under heavy acceleration it's mean is something wrong with engine.

Sent using Tapatalk

Hi Damtom,

It's only happened once, but to be fair, I'm not a boy racer and it could be that I have not previously put my foot down as hard before. The engine was fully warmed up and I had just come off a major "A" road where I had been doing a steady 60 mph for half an hour or so. Navigating around a roundabout and turning on to a duel carriageway road that I knew, I was behind a slow car and so pulled out to overtake. As the 70mph duel carriageway ended in approx 200 yards, I excellerated hard and the auto gearbox smoothly pulled me away and I easily passed the slower car within the distance before I had to reduce speed to 60mph on the single carriageway. Glancing in the RVM I saw huge plumes of white smoke billowing behind my car, which stopped when I maintained a steady 60mph.

White smoke to me, relates as you correctly say, to water being boiled away and that amount of white smoke would only happen with a blown water jacket gasket, something that used to happen a lot way back when - however, the white smoke would then be seen all the time thereafter. Or could it be that the engine was in the process of doing a regen and I blasted the DPF with fuel, causing the filter to burn clean? Obviously, the more fuel is burned, the hotter it gets, thus the exhaust can get super hot at such times ?? Is this the answer to cleaning the DPF? Bye the way, I only use BP Ultimate, which claims to burn more efficiently anyway. Any thoughts would be appreciated, please

Don't worry about this. Symptoms that I've put above and white smoke from exhaust will be constant and it is also one of the last symptoms can happen to car with damage camshaft. First u would get loss of power and brake force.

Sent using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
damtom85
Experienced
Experienced

Postby damtom85 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi all.

As my Mazda felt a bit underpowered and brakes sometimes had to push very hard to stop before car in front , I decided to take it to dealer. I already knew that these are symptoms of damage camshaft . I took yesterday.

I told them about 3 faults I noticed :

1. Loss of power on acceleration
2. Loss of brake force.
3. Metallic knock/ sound coming from engine when cold

Nice lady called me today , few minutes ago.

She said : camshaft is gone , vacuum pump is gone (brake force loss) , rockets are gone and stripping out engine to find what else is damaged.

Hurray :(

Will update you if I know anything else.

Sent using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
damtom85
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Darren C » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Really sorry to read this damtom; I hope the warranty picks up every cost of repair and rectification is a speedy affair.
Now: a 2015 facelift 2.0 petrol (165) Sport Nav saloon in Meteor Grey.
Was: a 2014 2.0 petrol (165) Sport Nav saloon in Soul Red.
Darren C

Engine: 2.0

Postby damtom85 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:44 pm

Thanks Darren . We will see how Mazda will sort out this.

Funny thing , lady mentioned that the problem is well known to Mazda and they received from Mazda technical bulletin regarding this issue.

Sent using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
damtom85
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Chris_h » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:21 pm

Damtom85 when did u purchase your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris_h
Experienced
Experienced

Postby damtom85 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:45 pm

August 2013

Sent using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
damtom85
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Darren C » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:55 pm

damtom85 wrote: Funny thing , lady mentioned that the problem is well known to Mazda and they received from Mazda technical bulletin regarding this issue.

Admitting to a known problem should hopefully strengthen your case mate. Best of luck as I say.
Now: a 2015 facelift 2.0 petrol (165) Sport Nav saloon in Meteor Grey.
Was: a 2014 2.0 petrol (165) Sport Nav saloon in Soul Red.
Darren C

Engine: 2.0

Postby cornclose » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Christ this isn't good is it. Hope it all gets sorted out and quickly. And also hope that whatever repairs are done are done properly and that replacement parts are more durable and don't exhibit the same problems.

Glad I didn't go with Mazda now!
cornclose
Experienced
Experienced

Model: MPS
Trim: 6TS
Engine: 2.3T

PreviousNext

Return to Mazda UK News