Gen 3 owners please read! Camshaft Issue (Diesel)

Official news and updates direct from Mazda UK.

Re: Gen 3 owners please read! Camshaft Issue (Diesel)

Postby Paul c » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Had a crazy few weeks as helpful as the mazda dealer was I felt like they were just not that interested in doing the check for me and helping . They kept changing dates and coming ip with excuses

I eventually got on to someone who understood my concerns from mazda uk and he send on the complete digital history to me and sure enough job number 7777-sp-j62

New camshafts turbos the whole works

So my vin is out of the suspected vin range and the work was still completed

I'm just glad it's all sorted now and I can enjoy the car
Paul c
Provisional
Provisional

Model: Estate (12-on)
Trim: SE-L
Engine: 2.2d

Postby damtom85 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:48 pm

I don't want to repeat myself again but your car is 2013 and it is well in range, unless is manufactured (not registered) after September 2013

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
damtom85
Experienced
Experienced

Model: Saloon (13-on)
Trim: Sport

Postby Paul c » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Well it clearly was the range as the work was carried out . I was saying that people were quoting vin numbers earlier in the thread and mine wasn't in that
Paul c
Provisional
Provisional

Model: Estate (12-on)
Trim: SE-L

Postby Cramack2010 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi there I currently have Just purchased a 2.2 Mazda 6 Automatic. The car had 21000 on the clock, i had the car 3 weeks and had major Engine problems (approx 400 miles covered by myself). Car went to the Garage and Problems found were, Worn Camshaft, Damaged Turbo, Damaged Cylinder Head, Faulty Vacuum pump and Faulty DPF filter. I have never thrashed the car nor taken the engine over 4500rpm (not that this should matter). I am concerned this will be a regular issue and one of those cars that continuously have issues. Just putting this out there. Any comments welcome.
Cramack2010
Learner
Learner

Trim: SE

Postby steve100 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:47 pm

What year was your car if it’s:2013 or early 2014 it’s a known problem if you read the posts on here of a hardening problem on the camshaft son early cars of under warranty Mazda should sort it if not then contact Mazda customer service hey should help as they are fully aware of the problem other than that there is no reaccurring problem but I also have the 2.2 175 auto 2017 model and before this I had a 2014 model which I covered 37000 miles and loved it so bought another one but I do have the oil and filter changed every 6000/7000 miles that way NO dpf problems no matter what sort of journeys you do
Cheers Steve
steve100
Community Supporter
Community Supporter

Postby LordOxygen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:39 am

Hi, just had my 13 plate 6 fixed under warranty at 58K
Had a new camshaft, new turbo, new injectors and god know what else. My car has FMSH (always serviced early and ahead of schedule), so there was no issues with the claim, was also provided with a car for the 2 weeks mine was off the road. The car is now tip top and probably good for another 58K .
Thanks to this thread I paid the £330 warranty extension from Mazda UK, boy was that money well spent, cheers.
LordOxygen

Postby Cueball » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Good Evening Ladies and Gents,

6 WEEKS! my car has been at Mazda dealer!!! I had approached Mazda UK, suggesting to them that I knew about the issue stated in their repair guidance document R074/14C, only to be sent packing with the comment 'We take every precaution from the initial design stage through to the final manufacturing process to ensure the end product is produced to the highest possible standard. Despite this, problems do occasionally occur as no part is infallible'. Having threatened that I would contact Trading Standards, I then decided to carry it out and contacted them, turns out that you have to go via Citizens Advice as Trading Standards will only get involved if they deem it necessary?

That said, I was advised that as my car was on finance, that the finance company were solely responsible to me, not Mazda UK. My finance company then said that my finance deal was 'tri-partite' which included the dealer at which I made the purchase (non Mazda), a fact I have since proved to be untrue by going over my finance agreement and finding the dealer only named as that of being 'the credit intermediary', which I would understand to be normal practice when a representative of the finance company is not present at the time of the contract being started. Feeling that this was a stalling tactic on behalf of the finance company, I have made them completely aware of what I would deem to be an acceptable outcome, basically authorise the repair to be done ASAP! I await their response...

Whilst I do believe the dealer are a party to them, having deemed the vehicle to be in good mechanical repair etc, during the inception of the agreement, I feel that the finance company were trying to gain a commitment from them before authorising the repair of my car. This I find completely unacceptable, and have made it clear that my repair should come first and afterwards, they are free to go and pursue whomever they feel to be responsible to attempt to recover their losses.

Has anybody else been in this situation? How have you handled it?

I am at the point at which I am starting to think about rejecting the vehicle and recovering the monies paid to date, I haven't even had it 12 months yet!

Thanks in advance

Steve
Cueball
Learner
Learner

Postby Jon Stead » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:36 pm

What a thoroughly interesting read this thread has been. Sadly, I have read it whilst waiting for my car, a September 2013, 175 Sport Nav, auto, saloon, 27,800 Miles, to have its service finished by the local Mazda dealer.

My VIN is 143***, so seems to fall in the “suspect” range. My symptoms started yesterday with the Master Warning Light and the message, “Low oil pressure, engine damage may occur, check oil level” on the display.

As we weren’t far from home, continued and once home checked oil level. It was between the marks, ok. This morning, checked warning lights again, after oil had cooled down, and same message.

Drove to nearby Mazda dealer and explained situation. They said they’d look at it. It’s now been on their diagnostic machine, £100, and had a health check, free? The summary is, the engine oil is diluted with fuel and it needs a PCM upgrade, £25. They have suggested doing the 4 year service, £220.00, which I agree was due in September, but due to my low mileage I prefer to service on miles, which was not due, yet.

After reading this thread, and not noticing any of the symptoms affecting the brakes or lack of power, I am hopeful that my Master Warning Light, was down to the oil being diluted by fuel, and as such I will change oil and filter earlier, rather than waiting for the 12,500 Miles.

I will have a chat with them about the camshaft when I collect the car but as it seems all Mazda dealers are well aware of this potential failing, I hope they’ve carried out the necessary checks whilst they’ve had it in there.

I’ve got a small boriscope camera that attaches to my mobile phone, so I’m going to see if there’s anything worth seeing when I stick it down the oil filler cap. Fingers crossed!
Jon Stead
Licensed
Licensed

Engine: 2.2

Postby Jon Stead » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Back from the garage. Spoke to the Technician, he said he was aware of the camshaft problem on some Cars, but he personally hadn’t experienced it, only heard about it on training courses. He maintained my Master Warning Light was caused by the dilution of the engine oil and that the PCM upgrade was to change the warning alert from, “Low oil pressure could cause engine damage” to something like, “Oil degraded”. He did say, but stressed it was only his opinion, that all the dodgy camshafts had probably shown themselves by now. I don’t think he’s correct with that opinion.

Anyway, my car is ok for now, but I’m still going to have a gander with my boriscope.
Jon Stead
Licensed
Licensed

Postby Jon Stead » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Just out of interest, because others have mentioned it on here, my oil level is now on the top, full, mark on the dip stick.

While I was under there, I had a quick look through the oil filler in the cam cover and can’t really see much without fashioning some sort of wire support to allow the camera to look back upon itself, if that makes sense.
Jon Stead
Licensed
Licensed

PreviousNext

Return to Mazda UK News