Gen 3 owners please read! Camshaft Issue (Diesel)

Keeping you up to date with changes and improvements

Re: Gen 3 owners please read! Camshaft Issue (Diesel)

Postby Chris6Mazda » Mon May 07, 2018 6:33 am

I was reading this thread with a sinking feeling. 2014 (63) with 19k miles Gen 3 Mazda 6 2.2d. Searched the paperwork and seen the first registered date Dec 17.

I havent even collected the car yet and im worried about a big bill in the next few months!

So VIN is JMZGJ****1149234 im hoping that its not in the range.
2013 (63) Madza 6 SE-L 2.2D Estate in Soul Metallic Red (150)
Chris6Mazda
Pass Plus
Pass Plus

Model: Estate (12-on)
Trim: SE-L
Engine: 2.2d

Postby steve100 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:19 pm

If this is from a Mazda dealer get them to check on the Mazda data base for . 1 is that car in the zone for the faulty cams. 2 if it does then have the cams been modified ? 3 if not then you want a 3 year full warranty on the car or change it for a late 14 plate or newer or walk away ! Late 14 plate on most problems sorted. But like any diesel change oil and filter every 6/7000 miles or 6 months if you don’t do the miles. Mazda know all about this problem and it should have been a recall.
Cheers Steve :twisted: :evil:
Hope this helps.
steve100
Community Supporter
Community Supporter

Model: Saloon (13-on)
Trim: Sport

Postby Chris6Mazda » Mon May 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks Steve,

The car is not from Mazda but from Ron Skinner, my concern is that the car is 5 years old and has only done 19,000 miles in that time in london. Plate starts LO63. I am hoping that the original owner would of recieved a letter off Mazda and acted on it.

I have emailled Mazda with my reg and VIN asking them for the service history and if any recalls were required but no reply.

I have checked in the DVLA recalls and according to that i dont have any.
2013 (63) Madza 6 SE-L 2.2D Estate in Soul Metallic Red (150)
Chris6Mazda
Pass Plus
Pass Plus

Postby steve100 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:13 pm

The previous owner will not have been notified about this problem as it’s never been a recall it should have been but never was and as you will see from all the posts it can fail at high or low mileage the Mazda data record should show if it’s been modified or if it’s still got the faulty camshafts and as you can see by all the posts it will fail at some time so if you have the car extended warranty is essential as it is with all modern cars as they are far to expensive to repair.
steve100
Community Supporter
Community Supporter

Postby proberts » Tue May 08, 2018 5:00 pm

I can vouch for Ron Skinner as I live in Tredegar where they are based. Excellent customer relations there but to be on the safe side, get at least a 3 year warranty with the car. I got stung with my 2013 a few weeks ago but it wasn't from Ron Skinners.
proberts
Licensed
Licensed

Postby Russinkent » Tue May 22, 2018 9:43 pm

Do you know the chassis numbers of the vehicles involved? Russ
Russinkent
Learner
Learner

Postby Dave S » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi, I have a 2014 (64) that has seized due to the bearing shells rotating and the bearings slipping on the cam shaft. It is a diesel with only 31K on the clock and has been regularly serviced. The garage I took it to has advised that the DPF may have been blocked and the system flushed diesel into the sump which appears to have caused the issue. Interesting to hear that there may be an alternative cause. I haven't contacted Mazda yet as I am awaiting a full report once the engine has been stripped down.
Has anyone else had the same experience and if so, is it a common design fault?
Dave S
Learner
Learner

Postby newmazdaowner » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Dave S wrote:Hi, I have a 2014 (64) that has seized due to the bearing shells rotating and the bearings slipping on the cam shaft. It is a diesel with only 31K on the clock and has been regularly serviced. The garage I took it to has advised that the DPF may have been blocked and the system flushed diesel into the sump which appears to have caused the issue. Interesting to hear that there may be an alternative cause. I haven't contacted Mazda yet as I am awaiting a full report once the engine has been stripped down.
Has anyone else had the same experience and if so, is it a common design fault?

Had the car been a tad older I would have said that your problem is down to a dodgy camshaft being fitted. My understanding is that the no vehicle in 2014 were fitted with the 'soft' camshafts - but who knows? It's worth getting the definitive answer from Mazda
Mazda 6 SportsNav Tourer Auto 175bhp - 2017 UPGRADE
xtras: Safety Pack, RCC
Space Saver
Soul Red
Purchased:18/01/2017
newmazdaowner
Experienced
Experienced

Postby mar.eng » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Fuel contamination is No 1 ☆☆ for wiping bearings in diesel engines, hence why weekly sump level checks are very important on these cars, 5 minutes a week can save you £££ and your nerves.
Experience is measured by the trail of debris left behind.
mar.eng
Experienced
Experienced

Trim: SE

Postby mar.eng » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:10 am

newmazdaowner wrote:
Dave S wrote:

Had the car been a tad older I would have said that your problem is down to a dodgy camshaft being fitted. My understanding is that the no vehicle in 2014 were fitted with the 'soft' camshafts - but who knows? It's worth getting the definitive answer from Mazda

There was nothing wrong with the camshafts it was the camfollowers that were too hard causing wear on the camshaft.
Experience is measured by the trail of debris left behind.
mar.eng
Experienced
Experienced

Trim: SE

PreviousNext

Return to Forum News